Saturday, April 21

Today is Saturday, April 21 - I worked this week at the Rotary International World Headquarters, which, go figure, happens to be in Evanston. I'm entering into a database the names of literally thousands of Rotary Clubs from around the world that have qualified for a special commendation. I spend my days at a computer in a lovely little cubicle, reading all sorts of names and matching them to the database. It's very interesting, as far as all the clubs in all the places... some of the names are really neat. It sounds boring, and it is. but it's not horrible. the actual office environment is very pleasant, the people in the Awards Department have so far been very amiable and seem to get along with each other very well- there's laughter on a regular basis. another affirmation that a work environment doesn't have to be horribly stressful. I enjoy going to this job, even though what i'm actually doing IS kinda boring. they have hot chocolate and tea bags in the kitchen area, too. i'm learning a bit about what Rotary clubs around the world DO, too- it's NOT just a bunch of old rich guys eating lunch, like it sometimes seems to be in America. *grin*

The Rotary building is a 16-floor highrise in Evanston, one of the tallest buildings in Evanston, doncha' know. What's nice is that the area i'm in is on the east side of the building. this means that about 20 feet from my cubicle is a wonderful view of the Lake. And if i look very sharply to the right, i get a great view of the City- Hancock Center to Sears Tower. and in the middle, halfway between me and the City, is a cluster of buildings distiguishable as Loyola University's campus, which is two blocks from my apartment, so in a way, i can see where i live.

this job at the Roatary International offices is through the temp agency i'm working for, and is supposed to last for a couple of weeks. this is good, since i'm not too hopeful about getting either of the jobs i interviewed at over the last week. I was told by the woman at Shedd that they hoped to make their decision "early" in this week (the day of my interview on last friday was the last day of interviews for the position), and that i would receive a call "either way". since i did not receive any call this week, i'm thinking that i am at least not their first choice- perhaps they have not called other candidates pending acceptance by the first choice person, etc. i did call on Monday to thank them for the interview and to say that i enjoyed it very much. i dont' know if i should again. i probably will.

the reception/secretary job i interviewed for on Tuesday went ok, but not spectacular. i don't think we hit it off to any impressive degree. just sorta lukewarm. i'd be okay in the job. it's got a great location- downtown, but right on the bus route that goes right past my house, and in an office building right across from the Art Institute and Millenium Park. i do enjoy being downtown. but, this job would be REALLY on the low end of my salary requirements. really. but it'd be full time with benefits.

the other job i was supposed to interview with on Tuesday i postponed- for various reasons; but i'm not sure it's practical for me- it's only very part time, and the kind of work means it's on weeknight evenings or weekends. and they ask for a 9-month commitment, and with temping and not knowing when or what hours i'd get if i get a job- well, this job was a good idea as a second job filler, once i know what the main job will be. anyway.

as far as general finances go, Cindy and i were feeling pretty good about our ability to meet all obligations and maybe even have enough to get our brakes checked out- and then i did my taxes. *sigh* for the first time in YEARS (if ever) I ended up owing both federal and state taxes. due to the fact that unemployment benefits do not have the option to withhold for taxes...

so, i'm feeling a little anxiety about things again, since $325 suddenly was due on April 17. please continue praying for my peace of mind and for my trust in God's provision. I will be getting one check (from this week) before rent is due. but i was kinda counting on the money (now gone) so that i could make a payment to my chiropractor (for my treatment last year)- i'd stopped making payments temporarily, but now need to make a payment to avoid defaulting and being referred to debt collections. and i don't need any more of THAT.

meanwhile, i am enjoying:
  • spending time with a family from church with two young girls (and a third on the way),
  • the nicer weather which allows me to go back to my times of relaxation on my favorite beach (and yes, collect more lake glass...),
  • going through the EXperiencing God small group study,
  • continuing to fellowship and pray for the wonderful people in my small group,
  • reading Phil chapter 4 and other assorted scripture.

speaking of scripture, tomorrow is sunday, which means i should get going on my way to bed. maybe we can be on time tomorrow morning! hee hee.

i love you all, and pray for my friends and family more now than i ever really consistently have. Feel free to drop me a line or leave a comment with a way i can pray for you. praying for others helps me focus on God and what HE can do and has done and is doing in the lives of so many people, instead of just focusing on me.

btw- thanks to cousin michelle for this wonderful pink knit top i'm wearing, and for the awesome zip-up pin-stripe blouse (that gave me something else ot wear to work this week), among other items of clothing that no longer fit her. the little things like wearing my "new" clothes and remembering the people in my life who love me- that also helps me focus on God and what HE can do, is doing, and will continue to do in the lives of those around me. Praise Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Just remember, Christ has a down time of 30 days before He started His ministry, and He's God. Your spiritual development may take a bit longer. Getting the trust and submission lesson is harder than you think. Once you have great success, it is easy to forget your source. You are learning to lean -- no matter what. Great things are coming.

    ReplyDelete